Thursday 29 August 2013

Leigh-on-sea to Riyadh in 7 weeks



After a long journey we arrived in Riyadh
I had sent off my CV to an agency for a job as an ICT teacher in Hockley when I received a call asking whether or not I was interested in teaching in a women’s University in Saudi Arabia; I did not immediately say no as I usually did when asked about international work. It had not been easy finding suitable work for either of us since we returned from Sudan and with the new academic year looming we were less optimistic than we had ever been. We hadn't been investigating overseas work though; we had been in a bit in limbo. Martin had applied for teacher training for the September and we had not long found out that he had not been accepted. What were we going to do now? We carried on for a bit as we were, Martin in the bakery and me doing supply work at a Pupil Referral Unit then we were both laid off within a week of each other. We had no real plans, I had health issues and we were playing the wait and see game. “Mmmm, might be..”, I said. “What about my husband?” “”He can follow on in a couple of months” “But he is a teacher too” “Brilliant, he can find him work as well”. This was on the Tuesday and by the Friday we had both received job offers. What followed was a medical for Martin and an interview for me to see whether I would be going to Princess Nourah University for Women, a new state-of-the-art university in Riyadh. And 7 weeks later we arrived in Riyadh.

One without the glasses and the full abaya
Martin looking smart
Looks a bit like he's going to present the weather forecast!

No comments:

Post a Comment